Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 13 - back to reality

Wednesday August 13 – Back to reality
Our Bed and Breakfast, the Ocean Hotel is a beautiful Victorian home turned into a B&B. We had a great night's sleep, and it's almost walking distance to the airport (I'd do it with carryon only, but not with 2 checked bags apiece and carryon). The hotel is called Ocean Hotel because it used to be right on the coast, until the little harbor and International Airport were built.
Our flight from Copenhagen to Washington DC – Dulles left at 12:28pm and the flight was smooth and comfortable, with adequate leg space and friendly flight attendants. We arrive on time, and head for Customs. We're toward the front of the line and it takes us an hour and fifteen minutes to clear Customs – jeez, what a pain. It takes 10 minutes when going into other countries. I'm thinking I should have taken a flight to Nogales and walked across the border; that might have been quicker. I go through security at airports quicker where I have to take off my shoes, belt, and pull a laptop out of its case, all the metal from my pockets, and get my carryon bag scanned. And that is done with far fewer lanes than Customs has, and all they have to do is swipe the passport, use a stamp, and say “Welcome back”. What's wrong with this picture?
Next is the Dulles to Portland leg. I won't mention the airline, but this is why I don't like to fly on United and vow again to never fly with them again. It's my second flight from hell with them.
The flight is delayed – twice. Lord knows why we we're delayed 20 minutes from leaving the gate. Maybe some last minute calls to passengers that are in the bar dreading the flight to come. Then we're 10th in line to take off. Then we're first in line but there are thunderstorms. After an hour we finally get off the ground. After an hour we're off.
There is NO legspace in Economy. I'm 5'10” and my knees are about ½ inch from the seat in front of me. The seats aren't particularly comfortable and the plane is the older Boeing 757. I'm naturally in the middle seat. The girl in the seat in front of me has inclined her seat ALL THE WAY BACK. No one else does because they don't want to start a riot of complaints. I can't even reach under the seat to pull out a book to read. I am occasionally able to get out to use the restroom – there's plenty of legspace there. I'd like to say I spent the entire flight there – it would have been better, but I'm a nice guy. I just stood in the back of the plane in the galley area talking to the flight attendants and to other passengers with similar horror stories. The flight attendant tells me I could upgrade to Economy Plus for just $49.50. My thought is just give everyone Economy Plus seating (if it's so much better) and raise the stupid ticket price. Everyone is so freaked about about fuel prices and they're taking away services or charging extra that I feel nickel and dimed to death. Just raise the stupid ticket prices – I understand why, and I'll pay.
We finally arrive – at the same time as four other United flights arrive. Our baggage claim is carousel #10. So is everyone elses. Every other carousel is empty and no flights. Is this dumb or what?
We do arrive home safely. I unpack and am in bed at 12:15am. I'll be up at 6:30am to go to work.
Such is the official end of our little excursion this year. It's been a blast.
I still have to go through my 700 or so photos and put up a slideshow. Give me a week or so.

No comments: